Monday, July 7, 2014

Order Up: Happy 1st Birthday Colton!

The Order: 
1 Giant Cupcake

Ok, so let me start out by saying that this order was one of my favorites to make! I love when customers give me an idea and then creative "reign" so to speak. 

Casey and Frank won a cupcake gift certificate and asked me if they could switch it for a smash cake for their son's first birthday!  Of course- I love making smash cakes!  Frank sent me this picture as a "guide" and after a few texts he let me know that instead of green, we could use blue:



I think the hardest part of making these is the actual baking process for the "giant" cupcake! They take about 55-75 minutes to bake depending on the batter and I swear I stand at the oven watching and watching and watching to make sure I take it out at the right time.  After that it's onto the cooling rack for about 2 hours to make sure it was fully cooled!

As this was cooling, I made the frosting and did some practicing on a few extra cupcakes I had sitting around to make sure I liked the way the piping was decorated :) Once cooled, it was time to get to work, I started by frosting the bottom half using a star tip, which surprisingly wound up being pretty easy!  Once that was done, I decided to spice it up and use a grass tip to pipe "fur" onto the top of the cupcake.  Once that was done, I added a black mouth and then added 3 gooey eyes and M&Ms for the feet at the bottom!  I happened to stumble upon the polka dotted cake mat which I think worked perfectly!  
Rawwwwwwr! 

I was so excited when I got this picture! I think that Colton enjoyed his cake, don't you?!?!








Happy Happy 1st Birthday Colton!

1 comment: