Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Order up: Stephen's First Birthday

Last weekend I had an order due for my cousin Erica. It was her son Stephen's first birthday party and the theme was Sesame Street.


The order:
50 Cupcakes: Decorated as Elmo, Oscar, Grover, Cookie and Big Bird. 25 Vanilla, 25 Chocolate with butter cream icing.
1 giant cupcake for Stephen to enjoy


I did some research to look for pictures to see what techniques I liked best. I decided that I was going to use Oreo cookies for the mouth so they would have a smooth finish, along with candies for the eyes and noses.

I started the baking on Friday night when I got home from work - all went smoothly and the cupcakes turned out exactly how I wanted them. Then it came time to make the frosting and start coloring to match the characters.


I can honestly say that I enjoyed making these cupcakes so much! They were so much fun to pipe the "hair" on, and turn them from regular cupcakes into the characters. I started with Oscar first, then moved onto Elmo, then Grover and Cookie. I did Big Bird last - he probably presented the hardest challenge...making that beak was rough! I think I have some ideas for how to make it next time (if I have to make them again!)


All in all, it was a success. I received messages from Erica and my aunt saying how they loved the cupcakes and they tasted great too!

Pictures can be found: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.115390331875592.23739.112047062209919


Up next week, Minnie Mouse and a variety pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment