Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Order Up: Happy 1st Birthday Holly Mae!

The Order:
1 Dozen Vanilla with Vanilla Buttercream
1 Dozen Chocolate with Chocolate Buttercream
1 Dozen Chub Rub
2 Dozen Strawberries and Champagne
1 Jumbo Vanilla Cupcake

It's well known that my cousin Allison has fallen in love with the Strawberries and Champagne cupcake. So much so that she convinced her friend Becky to order cupcakes for her daughter's 1st birthday party. Insert me :)

Becky emailed me with her order and we were more than happy to accomodate! Friday night, into the kitchen we went to bake the giant cupcake since they take a while to bake.

Saturday morning, it was up and at em early! First baked were the chocolate cupcakes for the plain chocolate and Chub Rub. Next in, the vanilla cupcakes for Strawberries and Champagne and and vanilla. Once all the cupcakes were baked, they were set out to cool.

After that, it was frosting time! First completed were the Chub Rub cupcakes - I mean, how adorable do they look packaged up and ready to go?
And now for Ms. Strawberries and Champagne. Unfortunately we learend the hard way that with 100 Degree heat, chocolate covered strawberries are not our friend. Next time, Becky will get extras with her order!




Then onto the kiddo's cupcakes. I'm really loving the way the new frosting tip we bought swirled onto the cupcakes and the sprinkles just topped it off perfectly!


Hello chocolate friends!



Now it was time to tackle the big momma. I made the frosting, took the cake out of the fridge and applied the crumb coat. I put the cake back to "set" in the fridge (again, did I mention the heat/humidity was at an all time high?) and took a break for a few minutes. I may or may not have had a Reese's cup at this time.




After I waited about 15 minutes, I opened the fridge to check on the cake. And that's when I almost burst into tears. The icing literally slid off the top of the cake and was sitting in a pile. I think I shut the door and opened it twice to make sure I was really seeing that. Wahhhhhhhhhhh.




Once I composed myself, I texted Allison to let her know I'd need a little more time, and it was time to get to fixing...which wasn't fixing, since now it was just pulling the icing off that was already there. Allison and I kinda sat and looked at it trying to figure out what to do. This wasn't good. I told her that as much as I didn't want to, I'd go buy her a cake if she wanted.




Then it was a few minutes of sitting there staring at it, debating on making more cupcakes, debating on getting her another cake. Then I just picked up the piping bag and started trying to make it look pretty. I swirled pink and purple stripes around the bottom, purple stars and a flower. Then topped it with some white pearl sprinkles and away it went.




Do you think Holly Mae had any complaints?










Us either! She tore right into it - girl after my own heart!




All in all - it was a lesson learned again about heat and frosting. For now, we'll stick to cupcakes and not try to make the giant ones...maybe until my fondant skills get a little better ;)




A special thank you needs to go to Allison and Becky for being so understanding while I had a mini-meltdown...and thanks Allison for being there to help me through it! Love ya chickie!




But before we go, we were able to have a picture sent to us of how the cupcakes looked on the awesome stand that Becky made! We may have to contract her for stands in the future! How cute!







Happy First Birthday Holly Mae! Enjoy those cuppycakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment