Monday, July 11, 2011

Order up: Happy Birthday Lizz!

The order:
1 dozen mini Red Velvet
1 dozen mini Strawberries and Champagne
1 dozen Fluffy Elvis

One of my good friends Denise contacted me last week asking if I would be able to make cupcakes for a friend's 40th birthday party. And how could we say no?

The cupcakes were needed Saturday evening, so Saturday was spent back in the kitchen (after I treated myself to a mani/pedi - after Friday's order, it was well deserved!) First batch in the oven were the Fluffy Elvis - I love making a batch of these - the whole house begins to smell like fresh baked banana bread. While they were baking to perfection, I prepped the Red Velvet batter. Since these were going to be little guys, I decided not to cut the recipe in half and I took the extras to a BBQ that evening. Just look at the pretty red color!

As the red velvet's were baking away, the vanilla cake was prepped for the Strawberries and Champagne. Those pretty little ones went into the oven and 30 minutes later, all the baking was done. From there, it was time to tackle the icing. I'm not going to lie, I actually sat in the chair and stared at the mounds of cupcakes and the mixer trying to decide what to tackle first - cream cheese, strawberry buttercream, make the filling for the Fluffy's. There may have been a few explicits that came out of my mouth, maybe even a few "WAHHHHHs", but a good song came on, I slapped on my apron and got to it. Moment of delirious was over :)

First was the cream cheese frosting. Seeing the pretty red velvets sitting there, I knew they needed to be properly dressed and placed into the fridge to set. Hello pretty little lady.

Next up, strawberry buttercream to frost the other leading lady of the evening. And wow - everytime I make this icing it smells wonderful and it just smells girly! Once they were frosted, they joined the red velvets in their little box, and went to set in the fridge.
And that left me with the star of the show. Funny, sometimes you forget how many steps it takes, especially with this cupcake. I had to text Denise and tell her I was running about a 1/2 hour behind schedule and I felt bad - I knew they had to get to the party, but I wasn't about to let something leave my kitchen that wasn't perfect! So I got to it - broke out the paring knife and hollowed out the inside of the cupcake, made the peanut butter filling and piped that into the cupcake. Then it was onto the frosting which was swirled onto the cupcakes and packed in their box waiting for pick up.
Once Denise and Joe arrived, after a year or so, I was able to show Denise my house! It was so nice to catch up with her and get to talk for a few minutes! It's amazing how quickly life goes by! We definitely need to schedule a girl's date night to catch up!

And with that, the pretty little cupcakes were on their way.








Happy 40th Birthday Lizz and may your forties be fun and fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment